Winter Floral Chocolate Cake
Posted on October 20 2017
WINTER FLORAL CHOCOLATE CAKE
For the cake
225g/8oz plain flour
350g/12½oz caster sugar
85g/3oz cocoa powder
1½ tsp baking powder
1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 free-range eggs
250ml/9fl oz milk
125ml/4½fl oz vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
250ml/9fl oz boiling water
For the chocolate icing
200g/7oz plain chocolate
200ml/7fl oz double cream
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Grease and line two sandwich tins.
- For the cake, place all of the cake ingredients, except the boiling water, into a large mixing bowl. Using a wooden spoon, or electric whisk, beat the mixture until smooth and well combined.
- Add the boiling water to the mixture, a little at a time, until smooth. Dont worry if the mixture is runny, it should be.
- Divide the cake batter between the sandwich tins and bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes, or until the top is firm to the touch and insert a knife or skewer in the middle, to see if it comes out clear.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and allow to cool completely, still in their tins, before icing.
- For the chocolate icing, heat the chocolate and cream in a saucepan over a low heat until the chocolate melts. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk the mixture until smooth, glossy and thickened. Set aside to cool for 1-2 hours, or until thick enough to spread over the cake.
- To assemble the cake, run a round-bladed knife around the inside of the cake tins to loosen the cakes. Carefully remove the cakes from the tins.
- Spread a little chocolate icing over the top of one of the chocolate cakes, then carefully top with the other cake.
- Transfer the cake to a serving plate and ice the cake all over with the chocolate icing, using a palette knife.
Add lots of fresh fruit, normally raspberries and strawberries, to help with the richness of the cake. Also flowers from the garden, seasonal fruit and then odd bits and bobs if you have anything around the house.
Recipe by Genevieve Frosch
You may also like to use the recipe from Lauren Lovatt for a healthy and warming Golden Parsnip Soup